Flower bag

Earlier this year my mother decided that we should get together and make a bag for my grandmother for Christmas. She’d get the bag and I’d make the flowers to decorate it.

I knew I had a bunch of flowers that I crocheted a few years ago, and I sent my mother searching for them in my grandmother’s attic where I stash most of my finished (and half-finished) projects, but it turned out they only covered one side of the bag. Here they are all laid out on the bag as a test:
image

Obviously I had to make more to cover both sides, and I crocheted some more flowers and a few leaves.
image

image

I shipped the flowers off to my mother so she could block and attach them to the bag, and here is a photo that she sent me last night of the (almost) finished project:
image

We’re really quite pleased with it, and I think my grandmother will be really happy πŸ™‚

Figs, anyone?

Well, of course I couldn’t keep away from the 100 Flowers book either, and just had to try out a couple of patterns. A nice break from studying for my Latin test yesterday (which I think went well, by the way). I made a fig leaf and a fig (also made a ginkgo leaf, but haven’t photographed it yet).
TheΒ fig leaf was actually pretty difficult to make up, because you don’t crochet all the lobes the same way on the same round. You’re supposed to make first three lobes, then crochet down the middle of the leaf (from the top to the stem), turn, and then make the last two lobes. Then you fasten off, re-attach the yarn by the stem and crochet the second round. That the last half of the first round has the back facing forward doesn’t really show on the finished leaf (it’s the two pointing down/left on the pictures), but I don’t see why I couldn’t finish the first round in one go, and then continue with round two without breaking the yarn. You just end upΒ with four yarn ends instead of two…Β And on top of that, the leaf is sort of split open down the middle, so you have to stitch that up as well.
The fig itself was an easier pattern to follow, except that the book (which is English) suddenly switches to American terms in the written directions. However, if you look at the picture, it seems that the chart is correct. The whole thing is worked in double crochet, but I think it probably should have been hdc, because the stuffing really shows through the stitches, even after I tried to fix it with a yarn endΒ :/
Oh, and look, my groundhog has arms! We are moving forwardΒ πŸ™‚