Purple pixie hat

20140222_223936My first ever completed nalbinding project! 🙂

I made this hat for my mother for her birthday, which is next week. Hoping she doesn’t check my blog… She knows about it, though, because I asked her about a month ago if she wanted a new hat, and I had her measure her head. Hopefully she’s forgotten all about it by now 🙂

20140222_223922The tassel thingies are crocheted, and the swirly pattern is needle felted on (because I suck so hard at free hand embroidery). Sadly the needle feelting didn’t really stick as much as I thought it would – you can just peel it off if you want to – so I stitched over the pattern with a few strands of light purple embroidery floss. Hopefully it’ll hold 🙂 I planned to make a matching pair of wristwarmers, but I’ll have to see if I have time before she comes to visit next Wednesday. They won’t be a Ravellenic project, so I’ll try to do some other stuff first. Only one day left of the Games!

20140222_224006Bollan is the best hat model 😀

Advertisements

Knitted pointy hat

First project of the year is finished! Knitted and felted Link hat 🙂

2014-01-29_00.05.21_medium2I’ve been playing (or trying to play – I still haven’t made it past the first dungeon) the new Legend of Zelda game since I got it for Christmas, and so of course I had to make myself a pointy hat like Link the hero has. His is green, but I’m wearing a green jacket at the moment, and I didn’t want to end up looking like Robin Hood or something, so I knitted mine in black. I already had a few balls of suitable black yarn left over from a crocheted hat that I started last year and never finished. I unraveled the crochet project and will probably use what remains for something else. I used a little over three balls of yarn for the knitted hat, so I have less than one ball left. And of course the yarn is no longer sold. Meh. Perhaps it’s enough for a pair of wristwarmers or something?

I finished knitting last night, and while the hat was totally wearable as it was, I felt like it was just a little bit too wide. Two rounds in the washing machine on a gentle program on 30 degrees C along with a small towel and it felted just enough 🙂 Before felting:

2014-01-29_00.06.26_medium2There is no pattern for this thing, I just made it up as I went. I think I cast on somewhere between 70 and 90 stitches (I didn’t count) and knit about three inches before I did a round of holes to fold the edge up. Then I knit another three inches, folded the work in half along the holes and knit the stitches from the cast-on edge together with the others (so I didn’t have to sew!). From there I knit maybe four or five more inches before I started decreasing on every 10th or 12th round or so. Then I just kept going until I had like ten stitches left, and done! It measured 68 cm in length before felting and 49 cm after.

2014-01-29_00.07.31_medium2

Two Swedish hats

As you may know I’ve made a number of crocheted hats based on the Swedish olympic hat, but none in Swedish colors. Blue and yellow is not my favorite color combination, but now I’ve made two:

With these two hats lying around it didn’t take long before one of them was claimed by Iggy, Bollan’s eldest son, who is part Swedish (read the whole story here).

The hats were made by request from my mother, so I’ll be sending them up to her in the mail tomorrow. I will not reveal what they will be used for, but if you follow my blog you probably get to see it in June 🙂

Crocheted hat pattern!

After trying to make the Swedish Olympic hat a few times, I gave up and made up a pattern of my own instead, and HERE it is. I hope you like it 🙂
The hat is meant to be lady size, but it’s both tight and very stretchable, so I’m pretty sure the hat will fit almost anyone 🙂 I have also made the hat in two different styles, but it’s the same basic pattern. Here is the bigger, beanie-type hat:

The Olympic hat…

It seems that everyone makes them these days, and everyone has their own version. There are several patterns out there, I’m not even sure which one I’ve used. I think I did my own version, too… I guess I shouldn’t have, because I’m not too happy with the result. When the hat was big enough to try on I realized it was too small, so I did one more round of increase and just kept going. This resulted in a very long hat with a somewhat pointy top. If I push it forward it looks a bit like a Phrygian hat… *sigh*

I wanted it to be floppy, like the one I’ve been wearing lately (knitted by my mother from this pattern – sorry, only in Norwegian), but it looks a little flat and weird… I think the hat is just too small for me, so I guess I’ll sell it on the market this summer. 

The problem might be that I crocheted the whole thing in single crochet, which makes it tight and not very stretchy… So that’s why I decided to try again, this time doing the whole hat in half-double crochet. That saved me a lot of rounds 🙂 It came out a little big, but I don’t think it’ll fall off my head, so I’m happy with it 🙂

Here is a picture of the two hats for comparison…