First project of the year is finished! Knitted and felted Link hat 🙂
I’ve been playing (or trying to play – I still haven’t made it past the first dungeon) the new Legend of Zelda game since I got it for Christmas, and so of course I had to make myself a pointy hat like Link the hero has. His is green, but I’m wearing a green jacket at the moment, and I didn’t want to end up looking like Robin Hood or something, so I knitted mine in black. I already had a few balls of suitable black yarn left over from a crocheted hat that I started last year and never finished. I unraveled the crochet project and will probably use what remains for something else. I used a little over three balls of yarn for the knitted hat, so I have less than one ball left. And of course the yarn is no longer sold. Meh. Perhaps it’s enough for a pair of wristwarmers or something?
I finished knitting last night, and while the hat was totally wearable as it was, I felt like it was just a little bit too wide. Two rounds in the washing machine on a gentle program on 30 degrees C along with a small towel and it felted just enough 🙂 Before felting:
There is no pattern for this thing, I just made it up as I went. I think I cast on somewhere between 70 and 90 stitches (I didn’t count) and knit about three inches before I did a round of holes to fold the edge up. Then I knit another three inches, folded the work in half along the holes and knit the stitches from the cast-on edge together with the others (so I didn’t have to sew!). From there I knit maybe four or five more inches before I started decreasing on every 10th or 12th round or so. Then I just kept going until I had like ten stitches left, and done! It measured 68 cm in length before felting and 49 cm after.
Now that we finally have internet at home, I can start posting pictures again. Yay, because text posts are dull and nobody reads them anyway 😛 So I thought I’d show you the last thing I actually finished, because all my other projects are still in progress.
During the first of my two field trips in August I realized that I needed something to sit on while out in the field, because most days it was cold and wet and lunch was no fun.
I used up scraps of wool yarn in colors that I probably won’t ever use for Bugs and followed the pattern for the potholders I made earlier. And then I just made it bigger. I added a hanging loop and felted it in the washing machine, and tada 🙂
Before felting, slightly bigger and thinner:
Now my butt can be warm and cosy even if the ground is cold 😀
Hi! How are you all doing? Looking forward to Halloween this weekend? I’ve been really busy and stressed out these past weeks, but I’ve still managed to cook up a new free pattern for you! A crocheted and felted witch’s cauldron, complete with lid 🙂
It’s a fairly simple pattern, and if you are just a little quicker than I am (which doesn’t take much), you can easily make this up in a couple of evenings and have it done and filled with goodies by Monday 🙂
You find the pattern on my other blog. I would have posted it last night (to give you more time to make it), but I had trouble uploading the pictures, and in the end I had to go to bed. But now it’s finally up (and added to Ravelry’s database), and I can get on with my math homework. Have an assignment due Wednesday, and I’m clueless… So you probably won’t hear more from me in about a week, when I might have another pattern ready. We’ll see 🙂
Two felted Tunisian crochet purses:
Both are made up of one long piece and sewn/crocheted together at the sides. I used a 6mm hook for the bags and 8mm for the handles. I planned on felting them just a little, but they felted a lot anyway and came out tiny, almost the right size for Bollan to have her stuff in 🙂
I have also made this Patchwork bag
from a free pattern by Lion Brand:
This was not supposed to be felted, but I did, and I don’t know how I feel about the result. I forgot how well this yarn felts (Gjestal Cortina), and it also came out a lot smaller than intended. I crocheted the squares in hdc instead of sc to save time, and then I made a sc edge around the top of the bag in brown:
I made the handle a bit longer than in the pattern, and I decorated the ends with a few cross stitches in green and purple:
But after felting the stitches looked like un-even blobs. Pretty pointless…
My boyfriend thinks the bag looks great, though 🙂
I have made another felted granny square pillow cover:
This is just one big square with an extra edge. Before felting it measured 50x50cm, now it’s 40x40cm. Before felting:
The best part of this project was that I crocheted over ALL the ends as I went 🙂 Look, no ends to weave in!
Along with the pillow cover I felted these two dice bags with similar colors:
Just two more bags to go, and all eight are done! Woohoo 😀