It seems that everyone makes them these days, and everyone has their own version. There are several patterns out there, I’m not even sure which one I’ve used. I think I did my own version, too… I guess I shouldn’t have, because I’m not too happy with the result. When the hat was big enough to try on I realized it was too small, so I did one more round of increase and just kept going. This resulted in a very long hat with a somewhat pointy top. If I push it forward it looks a bit like a Phrygian hat… *sigh*
I wanted it to be floppy, like the one I’ve been wearing lately (knitted by my mother from this pattern – sorry, only in Norwegian), but it looks a little flat and weird… I think the hat is just too small for me, so I guess I’ll sell it on the market this summer.
The problem might be that I crocheted the whole thing in single crochet, which makes it tight and not very stretchy… So that’s why I decided to try again, this time doing the whole hat in half-double crochet. That saved me a lot of rounds 🙂 It came out a little big, but I don’t think it’ll fall off my head, so I’m happy with it 🙂
Here is a picture of the two hats for comparison…